Last week I had the pleasure of working with The Macallan for their scotch tasting event “Raise The Macallan” at Venue One here in Chicago. The event allowed the attendees to taste their (delicious, delicious) scotch and learn about the distillery and the spirit itself. And lemme tell ya, there’s nothing like gettin’ your knowledge on while enjoying some delicious scotch!
I arrived to the event with my boyfriend and four of my scotch-loving friends and we were escorted to a private tasting room where we met Jason, the Brand Ambassador for the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. He gave us a little background about the different scotches while we tried the 12 year and the Rare Cask. I left my guests to enjoy their scotch and the various h’ors deurves that were perfectly designed to pair with the scotch. I then walked around to check out some of the interactive stations while the other guests arrived. The event set up was incredible. Each interactive station was not only informational, but also really fun! One station was designed for the attendee to smell different scotches and decide which ones they like the most. The one that smelled the best to me ended up being the rare cask…I guess I have good taste! There was also a replica of The Macallan’s “curiously small” copper stills. I learned that there are fourteen of these stills and that using them allows the scotch to have maximum contact with the copper which helps provide the rich, fruity, and full-bodied flavors that are characteristic of The Macallan. Cool!
Jason then told us about the 6 Pillars, the foundation stones for the fame and character of The Macallan, while we tasted the 10 yr, 12 yr, 15 yr, and Rare Cask.
The six pillars as described by Jason are:
• Spiritual Home; Easter Elchies House, built in 1700, lies at the heart of The Macallan estate
• Curiously Small Stills; contribute to the distinctively rich, fruity ‘new make’ spirit of The Macallan
• Finest Cut; we take only 16% of the final distillation from the spirit stills to fill into our oak casks. This is the best of the best
• Exceptional Oak Casks; The Macallan spends more on sourcing, building, seasoning and caring for its casks than any other single malt whisky
• Natural Colour; the rich range of colours in The Macallan whiskies is drawn only from the wood of our exceptional oak casks
• The Macallan itself; the peerless spirit – one of the world’s greatest whiskies.
After the event I had an at-home tasting with some friends.
Overall, my week with The Macallan provided me with a lot of information and also, a newfound love and appreciation for scotch. Especially The Macallan! Be sure to check out my Instagram and The Macallan’s Instagram for more of my photos!